Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Giggles

This is the story of the first time I heard Annelise laugh.

It was January 15, 2012. That morning, we watched Annelise wiggle and roll the bottom half of herself over, which is basically the first and most she's rolled over so far. She didn't quite get herself up and over that little baby arm of hers, but it was cool, tummy was on the floor, and that's what counts. Woot for reaching milestones!

Later that day, Jennie and I were doing something (exercising or just chatting maybe), and Mark said that she giggled! Whatever it was, I thought I had only heard some kind of grunt. Annelise makes all kinds of noises. But, Mark had heard her giggle a few times before, they're just still pretty rare right now. So we continued on our day.

That evening, Win and Blaine came over for guys hang out time, chatting, Bible study.... whatever it is they talk about. I retreated into the bedroom while they chatted, and Annelise was hanging out in her swing listening and watching them. Apparently she was getting fussy or bored with their conversation, so Mark brought her into the bedroom. At first, I cuddled next to her, thinking she was sleepy. But her legs were kicking almost nonstop! So I decided she needed a little more entertainment to get her tired out for bed time. We played a bit of peek-a-boo with the blanket, and then I played the "nom-nom" game. I learned it from Mark. It's where you take a big, noisy breath in and make your eyes really big in anticipation, then move down making nom-nom noises all the way down till you reach Annelise's face and then give her a big noisy kiss! She LOVES it. (Alternatively, you can make buzzing lip noises; she likes either kind. :) ) The first couple times I did it, she smiled really big, then all of a sudden, there was a little noise! Now, she chats quite a bit with us, all her little baby coos and whatnot. But this. This was like, a chuckle. Just a teeny tiny one at first. But then as I kept playing, she kept making more consistent chuckles, until she was giggling! It was so hard for me to keep playing because I all wanted to do was giggle back at her, but she didn't think that was as funny as the faces I was making!

I did try to call Mark into the room, but he was in conversation with the guys, and I didn't want to break the giggles by yelling too loudly and scaring her! So she shared her giggles with me for the next minute or so, and then she was tired out. She was still pretty happy, but starting to get a little hungry and tired, so no more giggles for now! But I expect there to be lots more in the future. It was an awesome experience to hear her giggle, and to be the source of that giggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment